Showing weakness

When is it wrong to hide our pain?

I have learned the most from people who shared their brokenness and pain with me.

2Co 12:8-9 (8) For this thing I besought the Lord three times, that it might depart from me. (9) And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me.

I have always struggled with sharing my own struggles with others for various reasons, chief among them is that I have felt uncomfortable showing weakness. Our culture has created an image of manliness that is built on a "macho gunfighter" Hollywood type. Compounding that, is a reluctance to appear a whiner. I am learning, albeit slowly, that sometimes greater strength is shown in admitting weakness and / or failure, than not. Giving people a chance to minister to your / my needs is sometimes more important than maintaining that image of "having it all together".

The truth is, people hurt. People make mistakes. People get sick. People struggle with addictions, behavior issues, life. We have to learn to get past the desire to mask it with a lie and learn to lean on our friends and in turn, be there to be leaned on.

No comments:

Post a Comment