I wonder why it's ok to do that

Looking at the headlines every day, sometimes I can't help but wonder, why do they (insert your headline source here) feel that it's ok to do that.

Here is one that I really struggle with. Why did the captors of a US news reporter feel it was ok to kidnap, torture, and then behead someone, but then the same people who cheered at that caused a huge uproar over a cartoon that could be considered disrespectful to Islam?

What about the rights of the man kidnapped?

Measure the response of the world to the kidnapping and beheading (pick your instance, there have been many), then think for a bit about the response of the radical Islamic world to a simple cartoon. It seems a little out of balance, does it not? Especially when other religions are parodied on a regular basis.

Since the response of the radical Islam world was so violent over a cartoon, would not it be appropriate in their book to have a similar, if appropriately escalated, response to their actions? Why is it that the world seems in such a hurry to apologize when cities are being torn apart in the violence of the response? What about the response? Is that not something to be upset over? Where does it end?

Why is it ok to act like that?

Please note: I am Not advocating a violent response on any course. I am questioning the logic, or extreme lack thereof, that has been demonstrated here, and time and time again. I do not believe that violence is the answer to this. I do not profess to have the answer, hence, the question Why?

How, I wonder, do all the millions of followers of Islam who are not radical fundamentalists, but rather peace loving people who respect their fellow persons feel about this? I suppose a little like I feel when I hear about some Christian Fundamentalist doing something crazy in the name of God... What God do they serve I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment