Frustration with vendors making claims about “knowledge management”

We have a system that can uncover all types of hidden relationship and turn your data into knowledge! It is starting to sound like a carnival hucksters line to me. Once the conversation gets underway, I start to ask a few clarifying questions and things begin to become both clearer and muddier at the same time.

It becomes clear that the claims are over hyped, and at the same time, separating the actual out of the box capability from the hype or customization becomes muddier.

Too often, these systems rely on an underlying established dictionary, specific ontology, and / or custom meta data repository. This often has to be uncovered by direct questioning, and it is critical to clarify what comes with the product vs what is custom built for my business area. How does your established dictionary and overlying ontology map to my process? What about linguistics, allowing the tool to anticipate what I need based on my query and to learn from my results? I am ok with a learning curve if I see where we are going.

Over hyping the capabilities with pre-set cases only sets up the pilot / deployment for disappointment. When users see a case that looks like magic, they expect magic for their systems. Bottom line – sell what you really have, wait to market your “vision” until you have something real. It’s ok to say, here is where we really are, out of the gate. Do not waste my, or others time with misleading claims.

Ok, i'm off the soapbox... for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment