Microsoft – the integration story

Working in IT, I run into people with religious convictions all the time - software religion that is. It amazes me how often people fall into one or the other camp and are completely blinded by the "right thing" in their mind. This most often occurs with the Microsoft, Open Source, and Java camps for techs and Microsoft and Mac for many end users.

While all platforms have strengths and weaknesses, no one platform is the best fit for all use, and we should be focused more on interoperability than on justifying a platform choice.

As for Microsoft, in the enterprise it is a hard sell to unseat the giant. They own the desktop and that makes the stack so much more compelling. While any single product can likely be beat by a best of breed comparison, their greatest strength comes in their integration story. So... what's the big deal? let it be while others work on a similar story and accept that this is reality for now. Learn to work with it and let's figure out how to make our Linux and Mac machines work in this environment while alternatives are created. Collaboration is the only way to create a new stack option for seamless integration.

1 comment:

  1. I love Linux (work with it daily), but I also love Windows. I just don't like Linux on the desktop. I also don't like Windows in the server arena. I think they've each mastered those separate venues. And unlike many of the "religious" zealouts that I know, I am happy with them staying separate like that. I just don't feel a need to push Linux on the desktop.

    ReplyDelete